Thursday, October 25, 2007

One Down!




Game 1 of the World Series went off without a hitch. It's strange to say, but there are fewer and fewer new faces at the bar these days. A regular crowd of rooters has settled in to the point where they even try to sit in the same seats every game and drink the same drinks. It makes my job a lot easier. I just pour a bunch of beers, put them on the bar and wait for the right person to pick them up. I know where my high fives are coming from and I know who's going to be yelling on "I'm Shipping off to Boston".


From the start there was plenty to celebrate. Three lucky fans answered Red Sox World Series trivia correctly and won a copy of "Feeding the Monster", an autographed Doug Mirabelli photo, and a case of Harpoon IPA. Then Beckett struck out the side and Dusty got us on the board with a blast that should have been grabbed by the front of the monster. From then on it was chants and sing-alongs. We even woke up the Big Giant Pez for his usual role of Mitch Miller leading us in "Take Me out to the Ballgame".


Truth be told the crowd was a bit sparse by "Dirty Water" but the energy was still very high. I think everyone knows that despite the fireworks it was one game. We started out the Indians series with a blowout too. Now, Schilling and Dice-K have to step up.


I don't know how we're going to top last night, but we can try. Schilling's going to need a lot more help from us than Beckett did. So, look for the "bloody sock" behind the bar and even ask to touch it. Then go and worship a the World Series bunting in the back of the bar that borrowed from Game 4 of the 2004 World Series. Get the mojo moving. and get there early for more trivia tonight with prizes that include a case of Harpoon UFO, and an autographed photo of Manny Delcarmen.


Also, many of you have been asking for the playlist of songs during the Sox games, so I'll put that up on the blog today.


The Celts
Looking ahead to next week, the much vaunted big three of Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and Kevin Garnett make their debut against Washington on Friday, November 2. There should be a great crowd for what people are anticipating as the first serious contender the Celtics have had in almost 20 years.



I'm a sailor peg
And I lost my leg
I climbed up the topsails
I lost my leg
I'm shipping up to boston
(whoa oh oh) x3

-Murph

No comments:

...If You Ain't Got That Ring.