Many of the people at Thom's have asked about the music we play during the game and between innings. Below is a list of some of the songs:
Before the game starts we always play a clip of Sherm Feller saying "Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, Welcome to Fenway Park". If you grew up in Boston going to Sox games chances are that you heard this a million times without even thinking about it. Well, Sherm is gone now and his memory lives on at Thom's. Most of the time that is followed by another Sherm Feller clip introducing former Red Sox organist John Kiley playing the "The National Anthem". Immediately following "The National Anthem" is the band Boston with "Rock and Roll Band" and, if it's a Fox broadcast there's usually enough room for the first few bars of the "Cheers Theme".
During the seventh inning stretch you hear John Kiley again playing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" followed by "I Do" by the J. Geills Band. When the 8th inning stretch comes the whole bar sings along with Neil Diamond and "Sweet Caroline". If the Sox happen to win then of course we hear "Dirty Water" by the Standells.
In no particular order here are some other songs you hear:
- "New England" by Jonathan Richman
- "MTA" by The Kingston Trio
- "Walk Away" by The Dropkick Murphys
- "Tessie" The Dropkick Murphys
- "I'm Shipping up to Boston" The Dropkick Murphys
- "Just What I Needed" by The Cars
- "I Do" by J. Geills
- "Freeze Frame" by J. Geills
- "Centerfold" by J. Geills
- "New England" by Big D and The Kids' Table
- "Dream On" by Aerosmith
- "Voices Carry" by Gang Green
- "Window Pane" by Mad Larry
Most of the above are Boston bands except for Mad Larry whose song appears in "Fever Pitch"
A lot of these are songs I've been playing during Sox games for years, but this year Sarah Logan of the Red Sox gave me a list of the songs she plays at Fenway between innings. They include:
- "What I Like About You" by the Romantics
- "Glory Days" by Bruce Springsteen
- "Let's Go Crazy" by Prince
- "On the Dark Side" by John Cafferty and The Beaver Brown Band
- "Pressure Drop" by Toots and the Maytals
- "Joy to the World" by Three Dog Night
- "Melt with You" by Modern English
- "Boom Boom Boom" (Follows a homerun)
- "Oki Doki"
I also play the soundtrack to "Outside Providence" because that's the best movie ever.
I'm sure that I left a bunch off or that there are still a bunch I should include. So, drop me an email or leave a comment with your opinion, please.